22 June, 2010

Holm Land


Last year, I made a list of what I wanted to accomplish. Some of the list seemed like impossible desires...but nonetheless, I listed them anyway. One item on my list was to visit my country of origin before I turned 26.

My country of origin is Sweden. My dad came to the US with his family when he was a kid so I am partially a first generation American. My mom is also Swedish, so to truly see where I am from would be an awesome experience.

The parentals and my older sister, George, have been planning this international adventure for a while. It is very expensive to travel there so I thought it would never be in the cards for me.

That was, until about 3 weeks ago, that my second cousin named Lennart contacted my dad and asked why I wasn't visiting Sweden as well. The long and short of it resulted in him purchasing my ticket. Yahoo! And, my family was awesome to be flexible and let me accompany them on part of their journey.

My work was also very gracious in letting me go. So, with iPod, camera, some cute dresses, an umbrella, and a journal that I just sewed together, I will be heading to Stockholm for 8 days.

What to do? I'm not all together sure. I'm going to have a serious case of "go with the flow."

Maybe biking? Or go on a boat trip? I will be there during Mid summers. So party it up? OK!

Here is what I would like to do:
1. See Farfar's old art shop
2. See where my relatives are buried (great aunt and great grandparents)and do a grave rubbing.
3. Listen...to the language, to my relatives, and to the land. I want to know my extended family and where I come from and hear the spoken language. Does the sea sound different than the Pacific Ocean that I know? I've never been fully immersed so maybe I'll come back fluent? HAHA, NOT!

I will try to keep this blog updated but will be sure to have photos/stories when I return!


{Photo Credit}

No comments:

Post a Comment